Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wrapping Things Up in DC

Our last events in the nation's capitol were celebratory, nervewracking, exciting, and stressful, but in usual National Teacher of the Year fashion...first class all the way!

The finalists were invited to a lovely dinner at the Hotel George and were able to meet the selection committee while dining in elegant surroundings. The committee included representatives from fifteen of the most prestigious educational organizations:

American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
American Association of School Administrators
American Federation of Teachers
Association for Childhood Education International
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Association of Teacher Educators
National Association for the Education of Young Children
National Association of Elementary School Principals
National Association of Secondary School Principals
National Association of State Boards of Education
National Education Association
National Congress of Parents and Teachers
National Middle School Association
National School Boards Association
National School Public Relations Association


Here we are walking to the Hotel George for the dinner. I had this idea that we would walk across the street like the Beatles in Abbey Road, but we were about to get run over!!!

After the entree, Alex, Tony, Susan, and I changed places so that we could chat with other members of the committee. At the end of the evening, Jon presented each of us with a beautiful crystal apple.


We left feeling that we had just met colleagues in education, not "judges."

But despite the nice social evening, I still found it impossible to sleep before my morning interview. After dinner, Jon handed us two questions for the press conference that would take place at 11:15 AM, but I didn't want to prepare for that until my speech and interview were over. So I tucked those away and left the hotel on Tuesday morning to walk over to the Council building for my interview.

The first think I noticed was that after two days of beautiful spring-like weather, it was COLD in D.C. on Tuesday. Good thing...it woke me up! I entered the conference room, delivered my speech, and then sat through the next hour and answered each of the committee's questions. Many people have asked me "how did you do?" And as per usual after I'm in an interview situation, I think of a thousand things I should have said. And although I was relieved that it was over, I was terrified about the press conference! I hadn't prepared as much as I would have liked...so I sat in a side office while Alex was delivering his speech and planned a few answers.

Still...it was a little unsettling to walk into a room full of reporters with their notepads (not to mention the selection committee!) But I immediately saw Kim Worthy, the amazing D.C. Teacher of the Year in the front row, and I was so excited! Of course, we haven't seen the other State TOYs since our trip to Dallas, but we have talked on our GoogleGroup and can't wait to reconnect in D.C. at the end of April.

As each of us answered the two questions we were previously given, I listened to my esteemed colleagues from California, Colorado, and Connecticut and thought about how they are each eloquent, knowledgeable speakers...and if I had to choose one, I couldn't! They are amazing in their own ways, and I feel blessed to be among them.



I'm glad I have pictures of the press conference thanks to D.C. TOY Kim Worthy! My camera was in my purse shoved in a closet in the Council building...

By noon on Tuesday, I was finished and ready to head back home while Susan and Tony prepared for their interviews and Alex and Kim got to know each other over lunch. David and I were scurrying to get home before the kennel closed so that we could get Jasmine! She, of course, was glad to see us, but exhausted from four days of Doggie Day Camp...but she better rest up. She'll be back again at the end of April as we travel to D.C. to reunite with all of the State TOYs during the President's official announcement of the National Teacher of the Year! It will be another amazing moment in our Teacher of the Year journey...


1 comment:

dayle timmons said...

What an amazing journey you are on and how exciting that you are sharing it with all of us in the blogoshere! I feel like I was there. The best of luck to you - I can't think of a better representative for the teachers all over the country!
dayle timmons
2004 Florida Teacher of the Year