Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mrs. Rigsbee Goes to Washington

I had a busy week at the State Board of Education meetings while packing to travel to Washington, D.C. for the National Teacher of the Year Selection process. I was witness to history at the State Board meetings this week as we watched Dr. Bill Harrison being sworn in as CEO of the Public Schools of North Carolina, and minutes later, named Chairman of the Board. It was an emotional meeting as the Board said goodbye to Chairman Howard Lee, who has chaired the Board for five years, and who brought an air of dignity to that role that will never be forgotten. He will now head up Governor Purdue's Education Cabinet. I'm excited about working with Dr. Harrison in my role as Teacher Advisor to the State Board of Education.

I rushed out of Thursday's meeting to drive to Montgomery County and present on "Literacy for Life" to the NCASCD meeting. I shared my "reading history" with the participants and offered ideas for reading strategies that they could use in their classrooms. I was emotional twice, once while reading aloud a story about my parents and later while viewing the video of my reunion with my first grade teacher Mrs. Warnecke. But suffice it to say that I was having an emotional week anyway, realizing that I was about to embark on one of the biggest "moments" of my life.

And that moment is here...I am in our nation's capital preparing to represent North Carolina teachers. We arrived yesterday, and apparently my husband thinks the best way to prepare for an interview is to walk 15 miles! After checking into the Liaison Hotel, we set out to take in the sights of Washington, D.C. on a beautiful first-of-spring day (it's hard to believe that just five days ago I was home on a "snow day.")

The Capitol is literally steps from our hotel!


We were a little late in the day by the time we started our sightseeing walk, but that made for a pretty sunset picture of the Washington Monument.


Thanks to Trisha Muse's fifth graders at Page Street Elementary School in Troy! They made me beautiful "good luck" cards so I sent them this picture of their cards' arrival at the White House.

Stay tuned for updates on the events of the next few days, including dinner with the selection committee, a videotaped response to questions, a "mini-keynote" speech, an interview, and a press conference. Also, tomorrow I have scheduled meetings with North Carolina Senators Hagan and Burr along with a visit to the Senate floor!

And as for my performance in the selection process...maybe when it's all over, I'll be able to do the Smarty Pants Dance ...

No comments: