Monday, March 9, 2009

There are no words...

I started the day with a brisk walk to the Council of Chief State School Officers building where I was to be videotaped as part of the National Teacher of the Year process. Just as I approached the building, I looked back over my shoulder and caught a glimpse of the Capitol building looming behind me. I thought about the honor of walking in this place and representing teachers in North Carolina. Later in the afternoon, a Senate press representative would ask me how it feels to be a finalist. I answered by saying, "The words you always hear...humbled and honored...aren't even close to the way I feel every time they introduce me as the Teacher of the Year from North Carolina. There are no words..."

The state flags were flying in a brisk wind in Washington, D.C. today.

The videotaping was relatively painless this morning. The questions related to me and what I had written in my portfolio. I do have a tendency to ramble when I have a lot to say, but other than that, I guess I did okay.

After that, David and I headed over to the Senate office buildings to meet with the North Carolina senators.

Here I am with Senator Richard Burr, R-NC

And here with freshman Senator Kay Hagan, D-NC.

The next stop is dinner tonight with the selection committee...I'm excited to meet the folks who gave me this amazing honor.

1 comment:

Cindy Couchman said...

What a surreal experience you must all be having!! Thank you for taking the time to write on the blog to keep us all updated on what is happening. I know you must be somewhat emotionally exhausted so thank you for carving some time to reflect on the day for all of us addicted to your blog! :-)