Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spring is in the Air...

I remember this time last year. We teachers would pass each other in the hall and say, "The sap is rising." There was a buzz of energy in the building as the weather turned warmer, and spring activities like baseball and softball took the place of indoor sports like basketball and wrestling. Well, here we are again, faced with preparing our students for those looming tests while they are more and more anxious to just get outside!

Evidently spring fever has gotten to me, too...I've been traveling and doing my Teacher of the Year presentations, but I've taken NO pictures. So you'll have to take my word for it - I've really been to these places!

Last Monday, I attended the Public School Forum's Board meeting at the North Raleigh Hilton. After an activity report which included a review of, among other things, the Teaching Fellows selection process, the Board was given overviews of the most current Finance Study and a report entitled "Learning from Ireland," information gathered when a delegation of North Carolina educators traveled to Ireland to study what the Irish are doing right concerning education. We also experienced wonderful presentations regarding the North Carolina Grantmakers Report on Education and MCNC's STEM Initiative. This was an action packed meeting that enabled me to better understand education initiatives in North Carolina.

On Tuesday, I traveled to Concord to speak to a group of Teachers of the Year from the area. These school district TOYs were treated to a beautiful dinner thanks to the North Carolina Automobile Dealers. After my remarks, there were gift bags and envelopes for the teachers. The gift bag was full of tasty goodies (I got one, too) and I heard that the envelope contained a gift certificate to the Grove Park Inn. Hey, where's mine?

On Wednesday, I facilitated a literacy workshop for teachers in Chatham County. I always love presenting in Pittsboro...the teachers there are so appreciative! And my successor, Regional Teacher of the Year Phillip Little, is a Chatham teacher...so my audience was excited about the possibility that he could be the next NC Teacher of the Year.

Thursday and Friday were office days for me, the first since December! I was able to work (for hours...) on an expense report and do a couple of phone interviews that I had not had the opportunity to do. On Saturday, I was back at it again, this time serving as the keynote speaker for North Carolina Central University's Education Symposium. The 21st Century Student in the Digital Age was a moving experience for me. After I finished my remarks, a teacher from the audience came over to tell me what my words had meant to her. "I've been struggling," she said. "And now I have a new energy for the classroom." Just as I hope to make a difference to my students, it's my goal to make an impact as a Teacher Ambassador for North Carolina. I'm always happy to know that I've made a difference to someone in the audience.

Now I'm into another week of traveling the state. I promise to take pictures this time, warm weather or not!

No comments: