Sunday, March 15, 2009

Back on the Road...

I returned home from Washington, D.C. on Tuesday night and hit the road running on Wednesday. I had the pleasure of speaking to the staff of Rocky Mount Prep School, and I knew I was in for a treat when I saw what they served for snacks - my favorites - cupcakes, popcorn, and Cokes! Rocky Mount Prep is a college preparatory charter school, and I found the staff there to be exactly what I needed as I de-stressed from my trip to D.C. The best part was when Mr. Pratt, the Headmaster, handed me my favorite devil's food cupcake when I left! There are so many perks to this job!


On Thursday, I had the honor of speaking to Teachers of the Year (current and past) and beginning teachers in the Rowan-Salisbury Public Schools. My Teacher of the Year Teammate Janice Raper, Northwest Regional Teacher of the Year, showed me around the school that her husband Ron helped open as Athletic Director three years ago. I have to tell you that I was impressed with the real (once alive) cougar in the showcase of the lobby of Carson High School! It was great to see Janice and have the chance to chat with her during a lovely reception, and I had a great surprise! My friend Amy Garrett, who I taught with four years ago, is now a teacher in Rowan-Salisbury, and she was there to cheer me on. I had the pleasure of attending Amy's wedding a few years ago, and I'm happy to see her settled and thriving in her new community.


Here I am with Amy, a teacher I recruited to my school four years ago.

I had so much fun with Janice Raper, the Northwest Regional Teacher of the Year and April Williamson, the current Rowan-Salisbury Teacher of the Year.

On Friday, I returned to my school to work with National Board candidates again, and they are putting the finishing touches on their portfolios that are due March 31st. They have worked so hard this school year, and I think next November we'll have some new NBCT's in our school!

Sunday was our Community Literacy Day, and this day was a real treat. Not only did we have an authentic Spanish cake for Patricia's birthday, we also learned salsa and meringue dancing. We really had a workout, thanks to Latino dance studio instructor Betto from Mambo Dinamico Dance Company! Today we tried to speak only in Spanish so Jenny and I were a little confused sometimes, but the language of dance is universal. So is the language of sore muscles evidently. Hopefully I'll be well enough for my numerous speaking engagements in the next few days...until then...adios!


Happy Birthday to Patricia!

Norberto (Betto), the dance instructor, and Fabiola, GHMS eighth grader, smile for the camera.

Patricia (Fabiola's mom), Melissa (GHMS 8th grader), and Dolly (Melissa's mom) smile for the camera.

A very talented group of dancers...well, at least a very hard-working group of dancers!

No comments: