Monday, December 22, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

So I'm thinking...as I sit in the Central Office of my school district (where my Teacher of the Year office is located) that I wish every day in a school could feel like this time of year. Right now there are five cars in the parking lot, and everyone who's here is kind of laid back, chatting with each other. No phones are ringing, and even email seems like snail mail. It makes me think of the last week before winter break in our schools. There is still the sense of urgency, during this time of year, to ensure that students are meeting goals and learning, but there isn't such a sense of PANIC. Somehow we know we have a break coming up, and everyone seems to breathe a little easier and relax. If only schools could be like that every day!

I started this past week (Sunday) working at the Community Literacy Center at my school. We had ten people this time! The adults worked with my colleague Jenny on reading one of my favorite books, Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan. I spent time with some of our Hispanic students working on vocabulary and doing some diagnostic testing. Of course, as always, we ended the day with pizza and with everyone saying, "No mas!" We were full of food and fellowship!



On Monday, I worked with the National Board Certification candidates at my school, and I'm excited that they are progressing so well. They have begun videotaping lessons, and are working hard on their writing. It's exciting to watch these teachers growing professionally throughout this process.

On Tuesday, we held our Education Policy Fellowship Program Christmas gathering and had a "White Elephant" gift exchange. Let me just say that some folks were merciless in their gift stealing and trading, but we had a blast! Then...Wednesday was such a treat for me! I was able to return to my students and my school and help chaperone a trip to the NC Shakespeare Festival's production of A Christmas Carol. That message is timeless, and the eighth graders enjoyed it so much. Of course, lunch at the food court didn't hurt either. That night I attended my school's Christmas Dinner, and I was really happy to see all of my colleagues/friends again. I miss them so much and know that without them, I wouldn't have this amazing opportunity to represent them as North Carolina's Teacher of the Year.

After so much fun, I'm ready to settle down for a long winter's nap...well, after I finish shopping and baking and wrapping and decorating.

Happy Holidays, everyone! Enjoy your well-deserved break, and we'll meet again next year!

No comments: