Friday, December 12, 2008

Desert Learning


Yes, that says "desert" and not "dessert" although someone just came by to announce doughnuts are available in the break room! (Maybe after this post is done...)

So, yes, I just returned from the Arizona desert where I attended the Education Policy Fellowship Program (EPFP) Conference entitled "Leadership in Thought and Action." I flew out on Sunday, a five hour flight wedged between two total strangers, but it was worth it. The EPFP Conference was packed with thought provoking discussions about education policy and leadership. We began the week talking about the "Map of Future Forces," the KnowledgeWorks Foundation's contribution to thinking of education in the future in engaging and constructive ways. I have worked with the map before; as a member of the Center for Teaching Quality's Teacher Leaders Network, I am a member of a team of teachers looking at teaching in the future. We actually began our journey by studying the map and presenting to each other on the six "Drivers of Change." It was enriching to hear other perspectives on the map and on teaching in the future.

The three conference days were embedded with learning about "Exploring the Future," "Thinking Strategically across Systems," and "Connecting the Dots." We listened to compelling speakers, discussed with each other, and even participated in a simulation called "Earth II." We had to choose a hypothetical "leader" to move a representative group of us to another planet! A highlight of the trip was meeting and getting to know Jenna Hallman, the South Carolina Teacher of the Year. Jenna and I will be together again next month in Dallas for the National Teacher of the Year Conference. I was so excited to meet Jenna ahead of time so I'll have a friend there. And, of course you know, Carolina girls...the best in the world! (If you aren't from around here...that's a song!)

We on the Teacher of the Year team are aware of what's going on this time of year. Only last year we were waiting to hear the results of Regional Teacher of the Year selections. Well, it's that time again, and two new regional TOYs have been selected in North Carolina. On Monday, Matthew Bristow-Smith was named the North Central Region Teacher of the Year. He represents Edgecome County Schools. Today I had the honor of being present when my successor, the Piedmont/Triad Central Regional Teacher of the Year, was announced at Northwood High School in Chatham County. Phillip Little is the new regional TOY for my region, and this is quite a week for him. He's getting married tomorrow! I was happy to stand on the stage with Mr. Little's family as he accepted this amazing honor. And the best is yet to come...

North Carolina teachers, enjoy your last week before break! I'll be with my students for two days next week, and I can't wait! There's nothing like being around children at Christmas!

No comments: