Friday, December 5, 2008

Countdown!

Have you ever seen folks as eager for the holidays as teachers? I've heard it about seventeen times today: "Ten more days!!!"

As things wind down in the schools, the speaking engagements have tapered off for the Teacher of the Year, but that gives me some time to catch up on some things I've pushed aside for the past seven months - like finally getting moved into my office (my husband really wants those boxes out of the garage!)

This week I started with yet another interesting night at the Education Policy Fellowship Program. Dr. Robin Dorff, currently with the War College in Maryland, serves as the Executive Director at the Institute of Political Leadership. He spoke to us about being strategic leaders, and we hung on every word! We're all excited about our upcoming trip to the national EPFP Conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. Fellows from sixteen other states will join us as we leave our loved ones here in the cold on Sunday to fly to the 70 degree desert! We have a packed agenda for three days of learning and fun...

This was a State Board of Education week in NC, and among other things, we discussed the opportunity principals and assistant principals will soon have to participate in the National Board Certification process. As an NBCT myself, I'm aware of the tremendous growth potential when working toward a goal like that. So I'm excited about the opportunity for administrators.

This week I spoke before the Education Oversight Committee of the North Carolina State Legislature. I have to say that I was a little nervous. I was speaking in support of our new Teacher Evaluation Process in North Carolina, and I was eager to talk about the positive changes that are being made. Something about that big room, and those important people who make our laws sitting there listening to me, was very exciting! I hope I represented NC teachers well.

Stay tuned for next week and a report from Arizona! Stay warm...

No comments: