Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Homecoming

My parents moved us to Durham from Sanford when I was four years old. For that reason, I spent my entire life meeting adults in Durham who would say, "Now who are your parents?" And no one would ever know them. And although I call the Bull City my home, I have always been aware that I have been missing a certain connection. Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak to the staff of Bullock Elementary School in Sanford, and I was somewhat emotional on my drive to my birthplace. I associate the "brick capital of the world" with my Daddy who died exactly four years ago, in September of 2004. Shortly after my Daddy's death, we lost two uncles and an aunt in the next five months. Now, of the original nine, only one is left - my lovely aunt Betty Jean in Chickamaugua, Georgia. So as I drove toward a city that holds memories of family reunions and a packed house of grandchildren (my grandmother's small house on Bracken Street), I felt a little sadness. But I was excited about speaking to the faculty about the relationships that we have with students!

I began my conversation with the teachers by telling them that I'm a Sanford native. I mentioned my parents and my brief stay in Lee County before I moved to Durham, and then I continued on with my presentation. As I closed my remarks, a few teachers came up to speak to me, and I was so surprised to recognize one - my cousin!!! I hadn't even noticed her sitting in the back of that media center. Little red haired Tamra has grown up to be Tammy Strickland, second grade teacher at Bullock Elementary! (Her grandmother, who is my great aunt, had told me that she was a teacher, but I didn't know which school!) As I talked to Tammy, an older gentleman waited patiently behind me. I turned to read his name badge - Jimmy Bridges - Instructional Assistant. He said, "I'm 80 years old! Which Cole are you? I knew Tom, Charlie, Harold...he had a twin brother..." I gasped out loud! This man was standing there naming all of my uncles and my Daddy! (Evidently they spent some time in the pool hall together as teenagers...) Needless to say, I had a wonderful, albeit emotional, time at Bullock Elementary. I hope to return to visit Tammy's classroom one day!


Tammy and I reunite in the Media Center at Bullock Elementary.


Earlier in the week, I had the honor of representing NC teachers at King's Park International Church's Education Day. Hundreds of area teachers turned out on Sunday to receive goodie bags full of teacher treats, including glue sticks, pens, and even an apple! One lucky teacher walked out with another kind of Apple - a laptop computer!!! The folks at King's Park made all of us as educators feel honored and valued, and I appreciate the opportunity they gave me to speak to a very large crowd - the church holds 2,000!

Today I'm excited to begin participating in a program that I've heard so much about - the Education Policy Fellowship Program starts today at the Public School Forum office. We have 35 members in this cohort, the largest ever! Every Tuesday we'll meet to hear about how education policy decisions are made in North Carolina. But I've heard we'll also make lasting relationships as we meet together as North Carolina educators.

No comments: