Wednesday, September 17, 2008

BFF Classroom #2!

When the 2008-2009 Teacher of the Year Team was announced last spring, we met (by email) and I immediately pronounced us BFF's! (And, yes, I teach middle school, and I recognize that I have adopted some examples of 12-year-old lingo, but, unfortunately, that kind of thing just happens.) Anyway, one of my goals this year as I travel the state is to visit every member of the TOY team in their classrooms! Last month, I found myself in Janice Raper's neighborhood (Northwest Regional Teacher of the Year) and was able to visit her school during the teacher workdays. Today I visited Trisha Muse (Sandhills/South Central Regional Teacher of the Year) and her wonderful students and colleagues at Page St. Elementary School in Montgomery County.
It was Constitution Day, and the festivities had already begun when I arrived. Representative Melanie Goodwin (Democrat, Montgomery County) and the students were engaged in an interactive conversation about our founding fathers, the Constitution, and how government works in our country. At the end of the assembly, Trisha introduced me to the group, and I shared a little about a trip I had taken to Philadelphia to see some historic sites relative to the writing of the Constitution. Next, I toured the school, meeting teachers and students and admiring the beautiful hall decorations! There was an energy of happiness at Page Street Elementary School that I hope all schools feel. I have to believe that one fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Muse, has something to do with that!


I visited Trisha's students in the classroom, and they introduced themselves and shared their favorite things about last year (they had Mrs. Muse last year, too - she's looping!) Listening to them describe their fourth grade experience made me want to be in that class - tales of Polar Express parties (at Trisha's house) and Halloween characters in costume (Trisha was Snow White in a wig!) and trips to the mountains and Washington, D.C. and wax museums, and on and on. Those are some lucky kids!
And after meeting those students, I can truly say Trisha's pretty lucky, too! I ended my stay eating in the school cafeteria - I love school cafeteria food!



Thanks Page Street Elementary! Today was a special day for me!

No comments: