Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

There's a song around Christmas time that refutes my claim, but to educators this is the most wonderful time. Imagine having a job that is brand new and different every August...new faces to look at, new ideas to try, new children to love. Such it is with those of us who teach. I have loved feeling the electric buzz of energy in schools this past week: teachers are reading over class lists and imagining what those names represent: will they be happy, challenging, bright, struggling...just who are these people that we'll spend the next 180 days with?

After beginning the week in Hickory on Monday, I had the honor (and emotional opportunity) to work with the new teachers in my own school. I presented kind of a "this is the culture of Gravelly Hill Middle School" speech to acclimate them to the expectations of our school and to answer any questions they have had. It was hard, though, to not be able to run to my classroom and check an email here and there; I don't have one of those this year, and that felt very strange! The new teachers were wonderful, though...so full of energy and ready to try ANYTHING! To add to the emotion, I attended Open House the next night and watched from the wings as the staff was introduced. My students from last year, or course, were all hugs and "we wish you were here!" and I was so happy to see them. My principal excused the teachers to their classrooms and then introduced me, and for the third time in as many days, I got a little weepy. But now I'm just excited about the year to come and looking forward to meeting teachers all over the state and, hopefully, making a difference.

On Thursday, I presented an overview of Marzano's Classroom Instruction that Works to 120 teachers at Ragsdale High School in Jamestown, N.C. This was a treat on so many levels! First of all, my sister lives right down the street from the school. I was able to spend the night with her and catch up on "sister stuff." The next morning I bounced down the stairs to find breakfast made and a little treat bag for me to take to the high school. I was so proud I showed it to the teachers! Another reason I was excited to be at Ragsdale is because my friend and former teaching buddy Jean Ransom is the Assistant Principal. Jean and I taught for seven years together (in two different schools) and she taught science to two of my children! We had time to catch up with each other during lunch between sessions. And last, Ragsdale is simply a very special school. The current principal, Dr. Rogers, has been there for 17 years, and she is only the third principal ever in the school's 50 year history. This school has been the "place to be" in terms of athletics and academics for as long as I can remember. So to think that I had the opportunity to work with the staff is a real thrill!








The RHS teachers perform a non-linguistic representation of how carbohydrates turn to fat in the body. Good stuff!






And later, I was so excited to visit my old high school...
I cheered many nights on this gym floor - some of the happiest times of my life!!!
On Friday, I visited the Gorman Learning Academy Preschool. Believe me, if you want to see classroom management at its finest, watch three teachers facilitate lunch for 30 two-year-olds. And I thought seventh graders were wiggly! Next, I visited my alma mater, Northern High School, in Durham, N.C. (Go Knights!) I love the place (I was voted Most School Spirited in 1975!) And I was so excited to see that nothing had changed. My locker looked the same, the gym floor was just as shiny, and the cafeteria that made the best vegetable soup, homemade rolls, and cinnamon buns looked like I could just sit down and eat lunch with my friends.

As it was, I was there to see friends! I met with Blake Rahn, who I taught with last year, and who moved to my former school to be a high school teacher. I also had the chance to see the excited faces of three members of the Duke MAT program, who I had spoken with back in June. They are interns this year at Northern and had already met Blake and exchanged stories about me. (Yikes!) In addition, I was happy to chat with NHS Principal John Colclough, a colleague from several years back. I interviewed with him when he was a middle school principal, but now he's a Knight!

My last trip of the day was to visit a middle school in Wake County, but, alas, I never found it! (I did find several others, though...) My husband is getting me a GPS system for my birthday next week, and I can't wait. These first two Teacher of the Year months have been a little stressful as I have traveled through unfamiliar terrain. But after next week, no school is safe! I'll be everywhere!

Have a great first week, everyone. I'm there with you in spirit!

No comments: