Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to School

Catawba County Schools has many Hmong students, and they delighted us with a dance performance this morning!

If you've never visited the lovely Catawba County in the foothills of North Carolina, you're missing beautiful landscape and some of the friendliest people you ever want to meet. This morning I had the opportunity to speak to new teachers, their administrators, Central Office staff, and the Catawba County School Board. My message was one that I repeat to new teachers often - that every child is someone's "dream come true." I described my "First Day of School Motivational Dream Speech" and shared a few stories about students who have really touched me as a teacher.


I am so thankful to the folks in Catawba County for helping me through what turned out to be an emotional day. As I was speaking, I was well aware that my colleagues at Gravelly Hill Middle School had reported for the first teacher workday without me. I could feel the energy, the buzz of excitement in the halls, as my colleagues welcomed each other back from summer break. I was aware that there would be no bulletin board designing for me, and even though I was across the state, I felt a little sad that the Grizzlies had started a new year. But the hospitality of the Catawba County educators eased my sadness...I brought home beautiful pottery from Hickory potter Tammy Leigh Brooks and a basket full of bathroom goodies (and a teacher fairy!) Thank you, Catawba County Schools! I hope to visit again soon...








On my way home I had a real treat! I took a right in Rowan County and ended up at Janice Raper's school! Janice is the Northwest Regional Teacher of the Year, and she and her school family, with bandanas still secured around their necks, had just returned from a morning of team building out at the ranch. Their new motto - "Saddle up for Success: Lasso Your Learning" can be seen at the entrance to the school and hanging in the halls. I was so excited to meet Janice's colleagues; we literally walked hand in hand around the school so that I could meet everyone! And I loved Janice's classroom - I want to be her student! I told her that I'm coming back when the students get there - Hurley Elementary School is a warm inviting place, and Janice Raper's classroom is one reason why!




Here's Janice (second from right, in green) with a few of her teaching buddies (minus the bandanas!) That's Tiffany Smith (far left), Tish Hatley (second from left), Janice, and Glenda Brooks (far right.) All of these friends of Janice's are teaching some lucky fourth graders in Rowan County. Have a great year, guys!!!

No comments: