Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I Do Solemnly Swear...

Following are some words that I never in my wildest dreams thought I would read on an email - "You are going to be receiving a call from the Governor's office." Then, in my dream, the phone rings, and I hear "You will soon be receiving a letter from the Governor." The next thing I know I have the envelope in my hand, and I'm reading:

"It gives me great pleasure to appoint you to serve as a member of the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards Commission. Pursuant to General Statute 115C-295...."

I am so honored, I can't believe it. Only a few months ago, I couldn't even get Li'l D to sit in his seat! And to make this dream even dreamier, I have to get someone to execute the oath. A list of dignitaries is included in the letter - the mayor, a judge, a legislator. I know in a heartbeat who to call...my buddy Jimmy.

The Honorable James E. Hardin, Jr. is a Superior Court Judge in North Carolina. He also was the prosecuting District Attorney in the highly publicized Michael Peterson trial. But to me, he's Jim, one of the smartest, nicest guys around. President of my senior class and captain of the football team, Jim has been my friend since, as he put it yesterday, we were twelve. The ceremony couldn't have meant any more to me! I was moved to tears at the opportunity and by the fact that a man highly respected by so many was able to take the time out of his (very important) day to be a part of mine.



Jim administers the oath and signs the paperwork. Then David and I pose with the judge.

No comments: