Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Conversations

One great thing about this Teacher of the Year job (and there are many) is that I get to meet and talk to so many different people. Last week I had the pleasure of talking (for two hours!) with world renowned public speaker (and Orange County, NC resident) Art Fettig. If you visit his webpage, you'll see that's he's made over 4,000 presentations. He's also a successful author, having published over 30 books. Not only did he share some of his books with me, he actually made me one - about ME! I was so touched by the gesture and so inspired by his words. Art Fettig will definitely be a mentor as I travel across the state speaking to groups.



The highlight of the last week was what we affectionately call GHMS BFF GNO! (Gravelly Hill Middle School Best Friends Forever Girl's Night Out) This wasn't just any night out; this was a Teacher of the Year Celebration! It is important to me that the teachers of North Carolina know that I represent them and that I wouldn't be here without some very special colleagues who taught me so much. So I took Jenny, Cristie, Amy, and Heather to Angus Barn, a very special restaurant in Raleigh. (BFF Kelly was out of town.) I wanted to have the opportunity to tell each of these awesome teachers what they had meant to me during the past two years. I have learned so much from them and I truly believe that part of the honor of being named Teacher of the Year belongs to them. Also, just so they wouldn't forget...I gave each one a bracelet with a "dream" charm on it. For the significance of dreams, see my other blog. Highlights of the evening included being presented a bottle of wine by Angus Barn owner Van Eure (who has been a teacher herself.) She had inscribed the bottle: "Thank you for all you do for the children of our community." It was apparent that everyone there had a great respect for teachers! Thank you to all of my BFF's at Gravelly Hill Middle School! I wouldn't be the teacher I am without you.

My most recent conversation occured today as I met with Keshetta Henderson, Orange County School's current Teacher of the Year. We had a productive time discussing the role of Teachers of the Year and what we can do to serve our community. We came up with some good ideas for working with new teachers and for retaining the best and the brightest in North Carolina. Thanks, Keshetta, and I hope you have a wonderful year!

Next week - I'll be attending Teacher Evaluation Instrument Training in New Bern. I'm sure I'll have many stories to tell after I get my hands on that! Stay tuned...

No comments: