Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another Busy Day in TOYland!

That title would have meant something totally different to me when I was eight. But now...I know that it means I had a day full of activity and opportunities to learn! I began the day at Motor Fleet Management picking up my "state car." This car is for the purpose of transporting me to Teacher of the Year duties across the state, and it is beautiful! I'm so excited because it's a hybrid - a Toyota Prius - so I'm helping the environment and laughing in the face of those crazy gas prices. However, driving this car is definitely a learning experience. From the push-button starter to watching the graphic organizer that depicts energy usage (engine or battery), this is a 21st Century car!

My next activity included driving all over downtown Raleigh looking for a parking place near the Education Building. Since the legislature is finishing up, everyone was in town! (P.S. Thanks for the raise and the legislation allowing National Board Certified teachers to become full time mentors!) I finally found a spot, several blocks away, and soon found myself in a room full of professionals dedicated to Dropout Prevention in North Carolina. Superintendent June Atkinson held the first Graduation Awareness Roundtable Meeting today:
www.ncpublicschools.org/newsroom/news/2008-09/20080708-01

Educators, legislators, members of the faith and business communities, and DPI personnel watched a compelling video addressing students on the dangers of dropping out. The speakers were all incarcerated, many serving life terms without the possibility of parole. Dr. Atkinson hopes that the video, entitled Inside Out, will be viewed by all North Carolina middle and high school students in September. For more information, go to http://www.mattiecstewart.org/.

I had to tiptoe out early so that I could participate in a State Board of Education Orientation. The North Carolina Teacher of the Year serves two years as a Teacher Advisor to the Board. I left understanding that each policy that governs me as a teacher has been through a great deal of discussion and forethought. And just in case I am unaware of those policies, I left with a little reading - Public School Laws of North Carolina Annotated. Before I left, I was able to sit in the Board Room, in the chair that will be "mine." I practiced speaking into the microphone and thought about the fact that, soon, my dream of using my "teacher voice" to impact policy may be realized. Thank you so much to Betsy West, Assistant Executive Director, who made some daunting information teacher-friendly. I'm excited about representing North Carolina's teachers in this way.

Stay tuned to next week - I'll be meeting with MAT students at Duke University...

No comments: