Monday, June 15, 2009

Velkommen Ven Til Danmark!

I hope the online translator got "Welcome to Denmark" correct and my title doesn't say something nasty!

Well, here we are. The 08-09 North Carolina Teacher of the Year Team, minus our friends Janice and Frieda, and along with some new friends - educators from across the state - are international men and women of mystery! Our adventure had a rocky start, though. First...half of us met at Raleigh/Durham airport at 10:30 AM on Saturday, June 13th. The other half convened in Charlotte. The Charlotte folks flew on to Newark and then hopped on their plane to Copenhagen, but those of us in Raleigh sat on the runway for two hours...then were told to disembark due to weather issues, and a ground hold, in Newark. After we did get on our plane, we sat again while watching a rambunctious two-year-old run up and down the aisle, lie down in the middle of the aisle, and grab my water bottle out of my hand. Not only were his parents not reprimanding him, they weren't even paying attention to him! But finally seven hours later, we arrived in Newark to the news we had already figured out. Our flight to Denmark had left.

Bill and Lindsey were relentless while securing flights for all of us!

Our fearless leaders Bill Ferriter (6th grade social studies teacher at Salem Middle School) and Lindsey Molusky (Director of the Latino initiative at the Center for International Understanding) worked diligently with Hector, the Continental representative, to get us all to our destination. However, the end result would involve seven different flights through three different cities to get us there. And none of these flights would leave until the next day. Luckily, Continental gave us vouchers for a hotel room. Unluckily, nine zillion people had the same vouchers, and the hotel was an hour down the New Jersey turnpike. We endured fatique, hunger, and bathroom issues, along with a shuttle full of children (well-behaved this time) on our LONG ride to Fords, New Jersey. Once we arrived at the Holiday Inn there...at midnight...I felt a little anxiety after our driver hopped off and left us inside. He then jumped back in the driver's seat and drove away, with no explanation to us regarding his plans. I seriously felt that I was being kidnapped...or at the very least treated badly. I mean he could've told us where we were going! I updated my Facebook status that night by phone - "You won't believe this day! After fourteen hours, a (very) delayed flight, several near riots, and a highjacked shuttle bus, I am in Fords, New Jersey."

Here's the "Palace" - the huge statue in the courtyard is "some guy from India" according to the clerk who checked us in.

After arriving at the nearby Best Western "Palace" and checking in, we ordered pizza and choked it down as quickly as possible at midnight so we could get to bed! The next morning we rushed to get ready, did some more waiting (stood in the parking lot waiting for the shuttle for about an hour) then headed back down the turnpike to get to Newark. As I mentioned, we were now divided into several groups...the first group took a direct flight to Copenhagen, Ann (the outgoing Wake County Teacher of the Year) took a flight through Paris by herself, my group flew by way of Amsterdam, and the last group flew to Paris also. At this moment, we're still waiting for them to arrive, a day and a half after the itinerary indicates.

Our flight to Amsterdam was six hours long, two shorter than the straight-through flight would have been. We left at 6:30 PM, got a pretzel snack, then dinner right off the bat. I watched "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and read a little. It wasn't long before I figured out that I better try to sleep...but that was easier said than done. I did doze for a minute, but when I opened my eyes I could see the sun coming up. I looked at my watch, and it was 2 AM at home, then 3 AM...I pictured my husband and my dog all snug in their beds, and there I was sitting on a plane in broad daylight, just a few hours after I left the good ol' US. The time difference (and us jumping six hours ahead of our families) has possibly been the hardest concept for me to wrap myself around (well, that and the hijacker...)


As we descended in Amsterdam, I looked out the window and thought "This looks like Iowa." Interesting, because I've never been to Iowa. But it looked green and fertile and rural, and I pictured corn fields. As we got closer I saw the canals...Amsterdam is a beautiful city from the air, but I didn't see any more of it, except in the airport.


Welcome to Europe (phew, we finally made it!)


The Holland Store in the Amsterdam airport had all kinds of wooden shoes. They didn't feel very comfy to me!





Amsterdam likes pretty cows...notice the windmill on the cow below.



Our final plane - from Amsterdam to Denmark!


It was not long before we were back on a plane and headed to Denmark, and I have to say - the view from the plane was breathtaking. The windmills, the water...it was beautiful. We haven't ventured out yet, but I hope to see as much of that water as possible in the next few days.


Here's the view of the windmills from the plane...

Our hotel rooms are quaint and functional...well, at least if the occupants are functional. It took me awhile to figure out how to work the water faucets, the lights, the plugs...but I've got it now. And when my roommate, Trisha, gets here from Paris (that sounds really cool) I'll be able to help her!


Here's the view from my room - apartments across the street...


Tonight we're still waiting for the last of our group to arrive. It's been a long two days for them!I've had about one hour of sleep so I'll try to pry my eyes open to greet them upon arrival (if they get here in the next few minutes...)

Stay tuned for more of The NC TOY Team's European Adventure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious!!! Have fun cindy.. U so deserve it! Hope u
make lots of memories! Love u, Sharon