Friday, January 30, 2009

Dallas Day Four

Today was a special day for me at the National Teacher of the Year Conference because today my friends from the Center for Teaching Quality were here to present on "Building Communities for Learning." Of course, CTQ is headquartered in Hillsborough, N.C., about two miles from my school. And my involvement with CTQ's Teacher Leaders Network has literally changed my professional life. So to be so far away from home and see these familiar faces made me a happy conference participant today!

Here's my virtual, and now face-to-face, friend Nancy Flanagan presenting to the group. Behind her you can see National TOY Finalist Susan Elliott's sign language interpreter and behind her, my other CTQ buddy, Alice Williams.


We continued our Home Room discussions today, talking about the balance between being a Teacher of the Year presenter and committee member while continuing to be a teacher. Our "leader" - National Teacher of the Year Mike Geisen - gave us insight into the job that he's been doing for the past year.

Next Susan Elliott, Tony Mullen, and I attended a meeting that enabled us to understand the finalist process. And Alex Kajitani was there, too; he joined us from California via conference call. His baby was born last night! We were given all of the requirements for what will surely be an exciting time in Washington, D.C. as we participate in the National Teacher of the Year selection process for 2009!


Here I am with my fellow finalists, Tony from Connecticut and Susan from Denver!

Tomorrow is another fun-filled conference day here in Dallas. Stay tuned for news about a very special and elegant dinner - I've heard it's a wonderful experience!

No comments: