Sunday, June 14, 2009

Virtual TOY

I've been negligent about posting for the past couple of weeks, but I haven't been negligent about taking care of my mother who fell two weeks ago and broke her hip and elbow. Thank goodness I was able to handle some of my TOY duties virtually and with the help of other TOYs.

Before my mother's injury, I was able to brave the wind and rain and head over to Stokes County to help celebrate on a special night: Teachers of the Year, retirees, National Board Certified Teachers, and Teacher Assistants were being honored. It was a beautiful night, complete with dinner, balloons, roses for the honorees (and me), and music played by the high school band featuring theme songs from movies. There were gold stars everywhere, even on the floor, and it was a wonderful reminder that educators are so special. And I felt special, too, when I was given a basket full of Stokes County products, including Purple Sweet Potato Butter...yum

Here's my festive basket from Stokes County!

Next I was to go to Catawba County and help celebrate the closing of Sweetwater Elementary School, but since I was at the hospital with my mother, I wrote a tribute and sent a video for the presenters there to use. I told the story of my own elementary school, Bragtown, and about how it burned to the ground in 1991. I shared that schools are so much more than buildings and that nothing can erase the beautiful memories of our schools.

Next I was honored to have the opportunity, earlier this year, to choose a high school senior to receive the Teaching it Forward Scholarship to the University of Phoeniz. Each state Teacher of the Year was given this opportunity, and I chose my student Echo who I taught in seventh and eighth grade. After eighth grade, she moved to Asheville, and I had hoped to present the scholarship to her at her Senior Night at T.C. Roberson High School. But I was unable to attend. Thankfully, John Hall, the current charter school Teacher of the Year from Artspace Charter School in Swannanoa, was able to stand in for me. Echo sent me a video clip of the presentation, and John did a great job. I appreciate him taking my place on this special occasion.

Last Monday night, I delivered the graduation address to the eighth graders at my own school, Gravelly Hill Middle. This was a bittersweet moment as I watched those little "weinies" (as I called them in sixth grade) sitting in front of me so dressed up for their special night. I spoke to them about dreams and how to go after them, and I asked them not to settle for less than the best as they pursue those dreams.


Here I am just before the 8th grade graduation with my student Courtney.

Things continue to wrap up for me as North Carolina's reigning Teacher of the Year (only a few weeks left), but some of the best times are yet to come! The Teacher of the Year Team is headed to Denmark June 13-21! Stay tuned for updates on that trip...

No comments: