Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mountain Girl?

My return trip to Hendersonville this week has made me question my usual choice of beach over mountains. As you may remember, I was in Henderson County in the fall, speaking at a National Board Certified Teachers' recognition. I returned to visit the neighboring town, Saluda, during the Principal of the Year site visits in February. But it was this third time heading west that inspired this poem:

Competition

Gazing with amusement
at a mountain scene,

being an ocean girl myself,

I challenged
the degree of beauty
I would find there.

But I looked
across that early spring range
and saw varied shades of green –

mint to forest to hunter –

and thought
those mountain leaves,
watercolor on parchment,
an autumn reversal
of leaf tone,

with clouds sitting
hilltop,
resting in the splendor,
the very portrayal of beauty,
I guess -

a challenge to those
flat-sand beaches
of the coast.

************************************
On this trip I developed a newly found affection for these hills of our state, no doubt thanks to the fine folks in Henderson County. I stayed in the Waverly Inn, a beautiful bed and breakfast inn, located in historic Hendersonville. I was impressed by the history of the building and even more impressed by the unending cake slices and homebaked cookies, not to mention the free flowing Coca-Cola machine (my favorite thing.)

After speaking to new teachers from the district at West Henderson High School, we all gathered in the school's cafeteria for a reception complete with cheesecake. It was there that I experienced a first. Moriah, an adorable little girl, asked me for my autograph!

Here I am with cutie-patootie Moriah, who said she wanted my autograph because "You're famous, and you know Hannah Montana!"

Later, a wonderful group of teacher leaders took me to dinner at Mezzaluna, and I enjoyed pizza and fellowship with teachers from the mountains of our state.

On Tuesday at EPFP, we celebrated our wonderful leader's birthday. Jo Ann Norris has been in education over 35 years, and she deserves more than a song and cake! We presented her with a picture of the group; however the photo was taken last week when everyone was in Washington for a conference that I couldn't attend. So I brought Jo Ann my Glamourshots picture (c. 1987). We all had a good laugh about that.

Here I am with Jo Ann and a picture of my 80's hair!

Wednesday I returned to Greensboro, this time to visit the MSA class at UNC-G. I spoke to them about developing teacher leaders in their schools and about what a teacher thinks makes a principal great. They were a wonderful, attentive group (they meet after school, well into the night) and I enjoyed my time there.

Next I traveled to Fayetteville State University to participate in the Excellence in Teaching Institute. Ruth Ann Parker, Southeast Regional Teacher of the Year, and I presented, together for the first time this year, to pre-service teachers. The Capel Arena held a class act of hospitality from the food to the student musical performers to the HUGE gift basket Ruth Ann and I were presented with. Thanks, Broncos!

Here I am with Ruth Ann earlier in the year at the NCCAT Gala!

Next week is one of the biggest weeks ever. I travel to Washington, D.C. for the naming of the National Teacher of the Year and HOPEFULLY we'll all get to meet the President, as former State TOYs have done.

Stay tuned to this blogsite - I'll be updating daily...

1 comment:

dayle timmons said...

Best of luck! Although I know you know who the winner is by now and are sworn to secrecy, we are all pulling for you!
dayle timmons, fellow TLNer, 2004 Florida Teacher of the Year