Friday, February 20, 2009

NBC Panic Mode and Other Exciting Engagements!

Some of my week has involved helping National Board Certification candidates as they begin wrapping up their videotaping and writing for a March 31st submission date. So...what began back in the fall as leisurely discussions of reflective practice have now become fever-pitched cries for help. This is the time of the process when our confidence wanes and our emotions begin to take over. I've written about it previously, and although it's been five years since I submitted my NBC portfolio, I still remember that stress all too well.

This week I worked with National Board candidates in Orange and Granville counties: reading entries, offering videotaping advice, and providing encouragement. All of these teachers have been real troopers, as accomplished teachers are...continuing to plug away at their writing and reflecting while maintaining high standards in their classrooms at the same time. I'm looking forward to watching as they all send the packed "box" away, and we can participate in some quality celebrations before they begin preparing for the final assessments to follow.

I also enjoyed another trip to Ragsdale High School this week, returning to follow up on three earlier workshops on Marzano's Classroom Instruction that Works. This time we focused on "nonlinguistic representations," "reinforcing effort and providing recognition" and "cues, questions, and advance organizers." I had the opportunity to bring along seventh grade language arts teacher Kelly Kaplan to provide some credibilty to the workshop. Kelly is a former high school teacher who knows how these strategies work with older students and who brought numerous examples of student work to share. Kelly's nonlinguistic "masks" were beautiful products made by her students who read Bronx Masquerade, and she also brought along examples of the Frayer model that we use, in each of my school's classes, for vocabulary study. And Kelly's Word Wall nonlinguistics sparked an exciting discussion on the research behind successful Word Wall instruction.


Ragsdale faculty members partipate by sharing, and Kelly (the candy fairy) delivers prizes to participants.

Another treat this week was speaking to the beginning teachers and mentors of Onslow County Schools at Jacksonville High School. Besides those groups of teachers, I also had Central Office staff, school administrators, and students - future teachers - in the audience. Again, I spoke about the importance of building relationships with our students, and I think I had as much fun as the audience!

Another busy week has come and gone...way too quickly...and I realize that in two short months a new North Carolina Teacher of the Year will be named. I'm determined to work as hard as I can in what time I have left in this position to promote education in our state and to represent the amazing teachers I meet everywhere I go!

Speaking of that, I had the opportunity to congratulate many new Teachers of the Year this past week as schools are selecting their representatives. Congratulations to all of you, and good luck as you continue throughout the process!

Here I am with my buddy NaShonda Cooke, recently named Teacher of the Year at Glenn Elementary School. NaShonda is an amazing EC teacher, and we used to teach together years ago in a nearby middle school.

My school is in its third year of existence, and here are our three Teachers of the Year. Here I am with the current (and newly named) TOY, Melissa Barnhouse and the outgoing TOY Heather Walton.

No comments: