Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Week to Remember...

Actually, every week I have spent as North Carolina's Teacher of the Year has been memorable. This one, though, included the elements of shock and surprise. I'll get to that in a minute. First, I began the week, as I do every other Monday, in my school. These days are precious to me, and I'm so glad my principal was one of the first people to go ahead and get scheduled early as I began developing my Teacher of the Year calendar. I enjoy my time working with National Board candidates, and at this time of year, they are deep into their writing and videotaping. So I spent Monday viewing tapes and reading entries. This is a growth process for me, as well as for the candidates, because I learn so much from reading about what these amazing teachers are doing! I also had a chance to visit with my students, which is a opportunity that means the world to me, and many of them yelled across the hall, "Mrs. Rigsbee, are you going to the chorus concert?" How could I say "no?"

But first, I attended the PTSA meeting and spoke to the group about the Community Literacy Center. I wanted to ensure that our parents are aware that we are meeting on Sunday afternoons in the event they want to volunteer or participate as learners as we work on reading skills in our community. Next I attended the chorus concert and was so proud to see some talented eighth graders on the stage singing. I thought back to them, as tiny sixth graders, and felt honored that I've had the opportunity to watch them grow.

This would be an important week for me as I knew the finalists for National Teacher of the Year would be announced publicly on Wednesday. I knew ahead of time that I had been given this honor; my State Superintendent had pulled me aside before the State Board of Education meeting last week. I was literally blown away at this news - I had no idea that it would even be possible for a reading teacher from rural Orange County to be considered in the running for National Teacher of the Year. I spent the remainder of that board meeting mulling over those kinds of thoughts and had a difficult time paying attention!

I was concerned, though, about the faculty and staff at my school finding out online or on the news. This honor is so much about them, the support they have given me, and the fact that they make me work harder and better because they are all such good teachers! So I asked the principal if I could say a few words on the intercom Wednesday morning and then if he would make the "big" announcement. He agreed so I drafted some very emotional words and tried to say/read them without crying. I told the entire story - from me being named my school's first ever Teacher of the Year - we were brand new that year - to the district process, then the regional, then the state process last spring. I did get emotional a couple of times, but I got through it. Then I asked the teachers if it would be okay if I came by each classroom and said "thank you" to every one of them. Next my principal got on the intercom and made the announcement, very loudly, "Mrs. Rigsbee is one of four finalists for National Teacher of the Year!" I could hear the students screaming all the way in the office so I couldn't wait to get out there and see them.

Here I am at the principal's desk, reading my thoughts over the intercom on the morning announcements.

Here I am with Cristie, the first classroom I came to, where I thanked the teachers and students for their support. Cristie and I joked that we had planned to dress alike.

I didn't have to wait long. When I got through the office door, there they were - 8th graders pushing and shoving to get to me, all of us crying like babies! I told them I'd soon be in their classrooms and then turned onto the first hall - the sixth grade hall. I could see my BFF, 6th grade language arts teacher Cristie, way down at the end of the hall. She was waving and yelling, "Get down here!" When I got there we were both crying, and one reason was because I had mentioned in my intercom speech that Cristie came back to school from maternity leave to speak to the Regional Teacher of the Year Committee about me. Her beautiful daughter, Whitley, was barely a month old! That's how wonderful the teachers at my school are! I continued down the hall, opening doors and hugging teachers and students, and by the time I got to the 8th grade hall, I found myself in the middle of a class change. Talk about a traffic jam! I was hugging and crying and trying to get kids to class, but it was difficult. I went in Jenny's room - Jenny was a first year teacher and my mentee last year - and when I came out, I was shocked to be looking face to face with Trisha Muse, the Sandhills/South Central Region Teacher of the Year! She had heard the news and driven all the way to my school from her house where she had taken the day off because she was sick! I was so excited to see her, and she walked with me from room to room, meeting all of my colleagues at Gravelly Hill Middle and hearing me tell the same stories over and over. It was a very special day, and I'm glad I was able to thank all of my friends before they heard the news.

Here's Trisha, after her surprise visit to my school, along with Alisa, the PE teacher, and me.


The rest of the week was a whirlwind of activity - two television interviews, a radio interview, and many calls, including calls from the Governor's office and from Chairman Lee of the State Board of Education, and hundreds of emails. Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging (I feel so unworthy of such a prestigious honor!) Thank you to everyone who has touched me as I have traveled on this Teacher of the Year journey. It has always been my hope to make you proud. I hope you know how much you all mean to me...

No comments: