Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall Is Here!

Most folks recognize autumn by the changing colors, but educators are aware it's fall because the "honeymoon" is definitely over in the schools. Children who showed up timid and reserved in August are raring to go in October. And that first workday comes, but it's not long enough to get grades done and lessons planned. Fall in a school...it's a beautiful time of year.

My first grade teacher, Mrs. Warnecke, is a very talented photographer. This past week she sent me a gorgeous picture of fall foliage:



All of those leaves remind me of the countless school bulletin boards I've seen with different colors of leaves and childrens' names written on them. Man, I love a school!!! And I had the opportunity to begin this last week in mine! I worked with National Board candidates again and talked with some new teachers about their Individual Growth Plans. The best part was that I got to eat lunch with some of my favorite students. Jenna is a student I "adopted" last year in our "Adopt a Student" program. Jenna was being raised by her grandparents when her grandmother became sick last year, spent a great deal of time in the hospital, and eventually died in the spring. Jenna's a trooper, though, and her personality and her grades never faltered. I love that child! Another of my special students that I had lunch with is Courtney. She was part of my "lunch bunch." Every Friday four students I didn't teach would come to read to me (and to one of our autistic students) during lunch. Courtney always brought her big smile and bubbly disposition to my room. I miss these girls so much!

I sandwiched myself between Jenna and Courtney. Also with us are Kayla, Lizzy, Stephanie, and the two Samanthas.

After school, I helped facilitate a district level National Board Certification meeting, answering candidate questions. I always enjoy working with others on this process because I remember how many questions I had!

Next I rushed home to meet Trisha Muse, Sandhills/South Central Regional Teacher of the Year, who would be presenting with me in Greenville the next day. Trisha and I have combined our efforts - me...speaking about Teachers As Professionals (TAP) and Trisha...tapping her way into the hearts of the audience by clogging. We presented to the Clinical Teacher Conference in Greenville and had a blast! Then...back home...and I headed to Raleigh for EPFP.


Here I am with Trisha and Sonya Rinehart, Northeast Regional Teacher of the Year, who also presented at the conference. I was so happy to be there with both of them. Ruthann Parker, the Southeast Regional Teacher of the Year, presented also, but we missed her...we had to scoot out early!

Trisha had her red tap shoes on!!!


Trisha had the participants up and clogging!

On Wednesday, I returned to Ragsdale High School in Jamestown, N.C. to do a followup presentation on Marzano's Classroom Instruction that Works. The Assistant Principal is my friend Jean who was a science teacher in my school many years ago. Her new staff is great to work with, and I'll be going back in February!

The next day I had a real treat - I presented to the Teaching Fellows at Western Carolina University. This was my longest trip yet...five hours one way (and up a mountain)...but it was worth it! The students were professional and eager to talk about teaching. I made plans to meet with them when they visit Raleigh in January!

Here are the awesome Teaching Fellows from Western Carolina University!

Well, another busy week has come and gone, and I'm still loving this job. The educators in North Carolina are the best in the world!

No comments: