Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Get Those Wheels Turning!

You know, I remember when my family had one car. My mother, the Avon lady, would drop my Daddy off at work, deliver her goods, and then pick him up at 5:00. When I was finally old enough to drive, my Daddy said one day, "I think I found you a car." I couldn't believe it! I knew we didn't have enough money for another car. But I think my parents knew they couldn't continue to work their schedules around my cheerleading practices. My Daddy took me to the used car lot and pointed to a little white car, a falling-apart version of an old Opel Kadett. I bet you've never heard of it, but I loved it! Even though there was a big chunk of the right front panel that would fall off if you leaned on it, it was MINE! My Daddy made me drive it in 5:00 traffic so I could learn how to work the clutch and the gears. I had to learn how to drive a stick shift or DIE! Those were the days...

I think, too, about my students who aren't able to participate in after school activities because they "don't have a ride." Those students, and my days driving that Kadett, are the reasons that it was difficult to accept the beautiful car that I picked up yesterday. The North Carolina Teacher of the Year program is very good to its TOY's. (This isn't the case in every state, I'm aware.) So I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Toyota RAV 4, thanks to AT&T, our official sponsor, the Department of Public Instruction, and Leith Toyota. I am thankful beyond words. And every mile I put on that car will represent one teacher or student that I hope to impact as my year continues.

If my Daddy were here to see it, he'd say, "That's a nice ride you got there, girl..remember that Kadett you used to drive?"

I won't forget...







Here I am in front of my new car with Steve from Leith Toyota - what a patient man! Also, I drove to my school to show my Principal, Jason Johnson, and my Assistant Principal, Tiffany Stuart (even before I went to show my own Mama!) Their instructional leadership, along with the fact that they hired the amazing teachers I work with got me to the point of realizing my goal of becoming a Teacher Leader...which led to the honor of being named a State Teacher of the Year! Love and thanks Gravelly Hill Middle School!!! Grizzly Pride!!!

No comments: